Skip to Content Skip to Navigation

Collection of Wages

The Department of Labor helps minors and others to collect their unpaid wages.

The Labor Standards Division will:

  • Investigate claims for unpaid wages
  • Attempt to resolve the differences between the employer and employee

The Commissioner of Labor:

  • Is authorized to institute criminal proceedings for failure to pay wages
  • May require an employer to pay interest and civil penalties on unpaid wages
  • May take an assignment of the employee's wage claim
  • May institute a civil suit to recover the wages due

Where we take action to recover unpaid wages, the employer may be required to pay an additional amount of up to 100 percent of the claim in liquidated damages.

Thanks for the feedback! It will help us improve your experience.