Skip to Content Skip to Navigation

Department of Labor

  • Translate
  • Search DOL
  • Property and Casualty Insurance Agent


    Property and casualty insurance agents recommend and sell property and casualty insurance to clients. A personal lines property and casualty insurance agent recommends and sells property and casualty insurance to non-commercial clients.

    Licensing Requirements:

    All persons seeking to become licensed as a property and casualty insurance agent in New York State must apply to the NYS Department of Financial Services.

    Licenses Issued and Active:

    As of September 7, 2012, there were 55,808 active licenses for this occupation.

    Licensing Authority:

    NYS Department of Financial Services
    Applications and Licensing
    One Commerce Plaza
    Albany, New York 12257

    Standard Occupational Classification:

    41-3021 - Insurance Sales Agents
    To learn more about this occupation search the Occupational Information Network (O*Net).


    Fees stated and other information contained in this report are subject to change. Please contact the licensing authority listed above for the most current information.

    This page was last updated on 11/1/12.

    Thanks for the feedback! It will help us improve your experience.