Skip to Content Skip to Navigation

Insurance Broker Property and Casualty


A property and casualty insurance broker sells insurance policies of several insurance companies to prospective customers, surveys customers' insurance needs, and handles renewals and cancellations for insureds.

Licensing Requirements:

Applicants seeking to become a licensed property and casualty insurance broker in New York State must apply to the NYS Department of Financial Services.

Licenses Issued and Active:

As of September 7, 2012, there were 39,504 active licenses for this occupation.

Licensing Authority:

NYS Department of Financial Services
Applications and Licensing
One Commerce Plaza
Albany, New York 12257

Standard Occupational Classification:

41-3021 - Insurance Sales Agents
To learn more about this occupation search the Occupational Information Network (O*Net).


Fees stated and other information contained in this report are subject to change. Please contact the licensing authority listed above for the most current information.

This page was last updated on 11/1/12.

Thanks for the feedback! It will help us improve your experience.