Skip to Content Skip to Navigation

Foreign Labor Certification Unit

The U.S. Office of Foreign Labor Certification permits employers to hire foreign workers on a temporary or permanent basis to fill jobs essential to the U.S. economy. The New York State Department of Labor’s Foreign Labor Certification Unit has a role in the processing of H-2A (temporary agricultural jobs) and H-2B (temporary non-agricultural jobs). Foreign Labor Certification Programs are designed to ensure the admission of foreign workers into the United States will not adversely affect the job opportunities, wages, and working conditions of U.S. workers. Certification may be obtained to bring foreign workers into the U.S. when it is demonstrated that there are insufficient qualified U.S. workers available and willing to perform the work.

Job seekers: visit our H-2A (agricultural) jobs page and our H-2B (non-agricultural) jobs page.

Agricultural Employers: Click here to go to our H-2A page.

Non-Agricultural Employers: Click here to go to our H-2B page.


New York's role in Foreign Labor Certification

For questions about New York State's role in these Foreign Labor Certification Programs, call Melissa Buckley at (716) 851-2609.


FLCU Staff

Division Director: Jeanette Lazelle
Office phone: 518-457-7304
Mobile phone: 518-461-2599

Supervisor and Foreign Labor Certification Specialist: Melissa Buckley
Office phone: 716-851-2609
Mobile phone: 716-803-0402
Fax: 716-541-9615
Mailing address: 290 Main Street, Room 213 Buffalo NY 14202

Foreign Labor and Agriculture Specialist: Ruth Gonzalez-Cruz
Office phone: 716-851-2621
Mobile phone: 518-728-2780
Fax: 716-541-9615
Mailing address: 290 Main Street, Room 213 Buffalo NY 14202

Labor Liaison: Christina Sánchez
Office phone: 518-457-5598
Mobile phone: 518-728-2832
Fax: 518-457-1335
Mailing address: State Office Campus, Building 12, Room 570, Albany NY 12240

Labor Liaison: Caylin Gwise
Office phone: 585-258-8855
Mobile phone: 585-746-2409
Fax: 585-339-9457
Mailing address: 276 Waring Road, Rochester NY 14609


H-2A / H-2B Contact Information

Find details at or contact the USDOL's Chicago National Processing Center at (312) 886-8000.


Other types of employment visas

For more information about other types of employment visas, visit


Other resources

Federal government websites

U.S. Department of Homeland Security

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

Thanks for the feedback! It will help us improve your experience.