Find a Job
Find Your Next Job
New York State Career Centers - work with one of our experienced career advisors.
Our New York State Career Centers are accessible to persons with disabilities. We also offer translation services if needed.
NYS Division of Equal Opportunity Development's Universal Access Policy
Universal Access policy
Start Your Job Search
Follow this link to register for New York's Job Bank. You can:
- Search job listings
- Post your resume
- Receive e-mails about job listings
Jobs by Region - Job Openings in New York State.
Job Fairs/Recruitments - Find recruitments and job fairs in your area.
H-2A Agricultural Clearance Orders - These are current agricultural jobs in New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts and Pennsylvania.
GreenCareersNY - Find green jobs and training opportunities in your area.
Directory of Possible Employers - Search businesses by occupation or industry. Find businesses that hire a certain occupation or industry.
Civil Service - Details on civil service examinations and how to apply for positions.
Skills Matching and Referral Technology (SMART)
SMART Resume Builder, Job Matching, and Insight Tool
Do you want to create a resume by answering some yes or no type questions? Do you want to easily enhance your current resume?
- SMART can help you create or enhance a resume with very little typing. The statements it uses to build your resume use the language that businesses are asking for, and that other job seekers are using in their resumes. These strong statements lay a strong foundation for your resume and will help you be competitive when applying for jobs.
Do you want to try something other than keyword matching?
- SMART Job Matching reads your resume and understands the knowledge, skills and abilities you have gained through your experiences. The system asks: "Who are you?" and "Where are you going?" It then recommends potential career opportunities where your skills can apply.
Would you like to find jobs that you may not find with other key word search sites?
- You may have skills for a job that you have not considered and would not find in a traditional job search. SMART can help you open the door to more opportunities by matching your skills to new kinds of job openings -- jobs that keyword searches won't find.
Would you like to set up an automatic search agent that will send you job lead e-mails as often as daily, with your daily top 10 job leads?
- SMART looks for new job leads every day, sending you the top 10 job leads per day (or once per week when no strong leads are available). Each e-mail has job leads rated on a five-star scale, and the links for the full job openings. If you are interested in applying for a job, simply follow the job opening’s directions. No employer will see your resume unless you choose to apply for the job, and send it when you apply.
Would you like to find out about real-world employees in the type of position you are looking for? Would you like to explore what jobs they have held previously? SMART’s Insight Tools allow you to:
- Explore the skills, education, and experience of real workers in jobs such as the one you seek
- Find out what career paths others have taken before being employed in their current position
- Single out a specific job opening, and find more jobs like that one
If you are interested in working with all of the SMART features, contact your local New York State Career Center! Or to only generate job leads from your resume and have the leads e-mailed to you within 48 hours, submit your resume to SMART@labor.ny.gov.
Earn it, While You Learn it
Apprentices learn the skills for a job through both on-the-job training and in a classroom. Follow our link to learn more.
Are you interested in a job that calls for skills you don’t currently have? Do you want to give a potential employer information that may make you a more appealing candidate? If yes, you may be a good candidate for the OJT Program. Through OJT, your new employer can be reimbursed for up to 50% of your wages while you’re in training for your new job. To find out more, contact your local New York State Career Center.
Job Search Tools
Use JobZone to find job titles closely related to your current job. It is your online career-planning system. You can create a free account in minutes. It provides:
- Details on 900+ jobs
- Labor market updates (wages and openings)
- Tools to help you pick a career
- Ways to apply your skills from one job to a different job
JobZone offers data tailored to your interests and job needs.
Use CareerZone to explore your future career plans. Click on a job title from any of six major categories. Scroll to the bottom to find other job titles that use similar skills and interests.
Universe.jobs - Excellent job search tips from real HR recruiters on topics such as:
- Using social media in your job search
Universe.jobs also lets you create a profile to showcase your experience to potential employers. Use your profile to network, blog, post to forums and engage in other social media activities.
JobNow - Free online services for all New Yorkers for:
- Resume assistance
- Live interview preparation
- Career coaching
Do you need help getting started?
You can access JobNow! in two ways:
- Login to http://www.novelnewyork.org and click on "Use JobNow" on the top of the page.
- Login by entering your ID number from any New York State DMV-issued ID card. For example, a driver's license or a non-driver ID.
- Visit your local public library.
- You may also be able to access JobNow! from your own home by using your library card number. You will only be able to do this if your local public library's webpage has that feature
How to login: You will need a username and password for JobNow. If you do not have one:
- Use the "sign up" link at the bottom of the page. You will not need to entery any personal information. You will just create a username, password and a security question.
Once you are logged in to your JobNow! account, you can use all of the tools. They are organized into 4 sections:
- Write the Resume:
- Resume templates
- Resume resources
- A resume lab. Here you can submit your resume and receive comments from a resume expert.
- Ace the Interview:
- Interview tips
- A live chat with an interview coach
- Links and Tips:
- Test preparation for tests like the GED
- Live, online tutors
Labor Market Information
Job Search Guides
Job Search Guide - Strategies for Professionals
This guide presents an overview of important aspects of the job search. It includes such topics as:
- Handling your job loss
- Managing personal resources
- Researching the job market
- Resume preparation
- Additional resources on each topic
Job Search Guide for School District Employees
This job search guide is for school district employees. It covers the topics you need for a successful job search. Get off to a good start by understanding today's labor market and learning helpful job search strategies.
Learn about hundreds of different jobs, including:
- Training and education needed
- Expected job prospects
- Work tasks and conditions
The Handbook also gives you job search tips, links to information about the job market and more.
The Youth Portal has tools and resources for young people to build a resume, find your first job, or create a budget.
Thanks for the feedback! It will help us improve your experience.